- Drywall alone can’t support the weight of a standard dartboard, which can be 10 pounds or more. Hence, relying solely on screws or nails can risk the board falling and damaging the wall.
- Using specialized wall anchors, like toggle bolts or wing bolts, can evenly distribute the weight of the dartboard, making it secure and preventing damage.
- If possible, align your dartboard with a stud behind the drywall. This provides an extra layer of support and ensures your dartboard remains stable during play.
- Once your dartboard is securely installed, regular checks on the wall anchors and mounting hardware can ensure it remains stable and secure.
It may seem easy to hang a dartboard on drywall, but doing so needs some forethought and preparation. Drywall is weaker than wood or plaster and is readily damaged when a heavy dartboard is placed on it. Additionally, the force of darts hitting the wall surrounding the board may damage the drywall, creating ugly holes and scratches. Use specialized wall anchors that can withstand the weight of your dartboard and uniformly transmit pressure over the wall to prevent these issues.
Want to hang a dartboard on drywall? First, find a spot on your wall. Use a level to make sure it’s straight. Put a bracket or hanger in place. Use strong wall anchors to keep it secure. Now, hang your dartboard and get ready to play. Always be safe and have fun!
To shield your wall from darts and improve the aesthetic of your dartboard, you should also install a backing board or a cabinet. But how can a dartboard be mounted on drywall without causing damage to either the board or the wall? We will go through how to hang a dartboard on plasterboard in this post. Let’s get going!
Can Drywall Hold a Dart Board?
Yes, but only when you use the appropriate tools and methods. The weight of a standard dartboard is about 10 pounds or more, which is too much for plasterboard to support on its own. You run the danger of tearing the screws or nails out of the wall or the plasterboard collapsing whether you attempt to hang your dartboard on the drywall using just screws or nails.
Use wall anchors designed to support large things on drywall to stop this from happening. Wall anchors are metal or plastic objects that expand within the wall when a screw or a nail is inserted into them to provide a sturdy and solid platform for your dartboard. Many kinds of wall anchors exist, including toggle bolts, wing bolts, screw eyes, pins, etc. They are available online or at any hardware shop.
Tools We Need to Hang a Dartboard on a Drywall
You will need the following equipment to use wall anchors to hang your dartboard on plasterboard:
- A drill
- A drill bit that matches the size of your wall anchors
- A stud finder (optional)
- A pencil
- A measuring tapes
- A spirit levels
- Masking tape or painter’s tape
- Wall anchors (at least 3)
- Screws or nails that fit your wall anchors
- An Allen wrench or a screwdriver
- A hammer
Drilling first with the correct bit and applying the measuring tape and pencil marking to center your dartboard properly are all critical to success. Once each hole is drilled for the wall anchors, you ready them with screws, then firmly secure them with an Allen Wrench or other tool. Finishing up by using your spirit level to make sure it’s even before hung will ensure you enjoy accurate throws each game from your newly installed dartboard! Have fun!
How to Hang a Dartboard on Drywall
Once you have gathered all the tools and materials you need, you can follow these steps to hang your dartboard on drywall:
- Find the center of the wall where you want to hang your dartboard. Use a stud finder to locate any studs behind the drywall and mark them with a pencil. Try to align your dartboard with a stud for extra support.
- Measure the height of your dartboard from the center of the bullseye to the top of the board. This will vary depending on the type and brand of your dartboard, but it should be around 9 inches or more.
- Measure 5 feet 8 inches from the floor and mark it with a pencil on the wall. This is the standard height for the center of the bullseye according to the World Darts Federation rules.
- Use a spirit level to draw a horizontal line across the wall at this height. This will help you align your dartboard correctly.
- Place your dartboard against the wall and center it on the horizontal line. Use masking tape or painter’s tape to secure it temporarily.
- Mark the location of the mounting holes on the back of your dartboard with a pencil on the wall. Most dartboards have three mounting holes: one at the top center and two at the bottom corners.
- Remove your dartboard from the wall and set it aside.
- Drill pilot holes into the drywall at the marks you made using a drill bit that matches the size of your wall anchors. Be careful not to drill too deep or close to any studs behind the drywall.
- Insert your wall anchors into the pilot holes and tap them gently with a hammer until they are flush with the wall.
- Hang your dartboard on the wall using screws or nails that fit your wall anchors. Use an Allen wrench or a screwdriver to tighten them securely. Make sure your dartboard is level and stable.
- For a tidy finish, wall plugs may be used to conceal screws.
How Do You Anchor a Dart Board to the Wall?
To keep it from swaying or falling off while you’re playing, anchor your dartboard to the wall. Use a center screw that passes through your dartboard’s back and into the wall to secure it to the wall using your dartboard as the anchor. The mounting bracket and center screw on the majority of dartboards allow them to be mounted to a wall. Using a mounting bracket and a center screw, follow these instructions to fasten your dartboard to the wall:
- Use a pencil to mark the center of the back of your dartboard.
- Use a drill that is a little smaller than the center screw to make a test hole in the back of your dartboard where you made your mark.
- Put the center screw into the guide hole, leaving enough room to hang the dartboard on the mounting bracket.
- Mark with a pencil the center of the wall where you want to hang your dartboard.
- Use a drill bit that is the same size as the screws for your mounting bracket to make a trial hole in the wall where you made your mark.
- Use two mounting bracket screws to install the mounting bracket to your wall, using wall anchors if needed.
- Hang your dartboard onto the mounting bracket by aligning the center screw with the slot on the bracket.
- Adjust your dartboard until it is level and secure.
Can You Hang a Dartboard on Plasterboard?
Yes, you can hang a dartboard on plasterboard, but it needs to be done correctly to ensure the dartboard stays securely in place. Here’s how you can do it:
Find the studs: Use a stud finder to locate the wooden studs behind the plasterboard. These studs provide a sturdy anchor for hanging heavy objects like a dartboard.
Mark the location: Once you’ve found the studs, mark the desired location for the dartboard on the plasterboard with a pencil.
Use appropriate hardware: To hang the dartboard, use a heavy-duty wall anchor or wall plug specifically designed for plasterboard. Make sure it’s rated for the weight of the dartboard you’re hanging.
Drill pilot holes: Using a drill bit slightly smaller than the wall anchor or wall plug, drill pilot holes at the marked locations on the plasterboard.
Insert the anchor or plug: Carefully insert the wall anchor or plug into the pilot holes. If you’re using an expanding wall anchor, gently tap it with a hammer until it’s flush with the surface.
Mount the dartboard: Attach the dartboard to the wall by screwing it onto the wall anchors or plugs. Ensure its level and securely in place.
What Do You Put Behind a Dart Board to Protect Walls?
For most darts enthusiasts, protecting a wall behind a dartboard is of utmost importance. The chances of errant darts going off course increase with more experienced players, so finding something to ensure that these wayward darts don’t damage the wall is important.
A great material for this purpose is cork; its hardness absorbs the shock of the darts and prevents them from bouncing off into other directions or penetrating deep into walls. Cork also creates an added layer of protection from outside materials or other objects in the room coming into contact with the board.
It’s easy to attach using simple hardware and stays surprisingly durable when properly maintained over time. With cork behind it, your beloved dartboard will stay safe without sacrificing any fun or performance.
What is the best method to hang a dartboard on drywall?
The best method to hang a dartboard on drywall is to use a dartboard mounting bracket or a wall-mounted dartboard backboard. These options provide stability and protection for both the dartboard and the drywall.
Are there any precautions I should take to protect the drywall while hanging a dartboard?
To protect the drywall, it’s advisable to use a dartboard backboard or a mounting bracket specifically designed for dartboards. These items spread the dartboard’s weight out evenly and put a barrier between the board and the wall, making it less likely that the wall will get damaged.
Can I use adhesive hooks or hanging hardware specifically designed for drywall to hang a dartboard?
Adhesive hooks or hanging gear made for plasterboard may be appropriate for lightweight objects, but it is not suggested to use them to hang a dartboard. The impact of dart throws may put a lot of pressure on the hanging mechanism since dartboards can be rather hefty. For a safe and secure installation, it is essential to utilize a dartboard mounting bracket or a wall-mounted dartboard backboard.
When you use the correct equipment and supplies and adhere to a few easy instructions, hanging a dartboard on drywall is simpler than it may seem. Using wall bolts, screws, nails and a center screw, you can place your dartboard on the drywall without hurting it or putting its safety at risk. Your wall may be shielded from darts while also improving the aesthetic of your dartboard arrangement, whether you use a backing board, cabinet, or surround.
You can always play a fair and precise game of darts by adhering to the normal guidelines for height and distance. I appreciate your reading! We’ve talked about how to hang a dartboard on drywall.